I was scrolling through the internet as most of us do and I stumbled across this still life painting incorporating an Arsenal majolica pitcher into its vignette.
Titled Apples, Majolica and Madeira, it made me wonder if the artist had done any other pictures using majolica. Sure enough I came across another painting of hers with the same pitcher.caller Majolica Asparagus and Onions
Bert Beirne is a contemporary American artist who specializes in these kinds of traditional still life oil paintings. She frequently incorporates antique pieces into her paintings.
From her gallery biography she describes her work thus:
“I combine my love of painting and traditional techniques into distinctive still life oil paintings. I choose my subjects from a variety of materials and textures including Madiera cloths, Persian rugs, metal, glass, porcelain, books and fruit. Working in my north light studio, I plan, select and set up objects to produce contrasts of color, texture and value and to show the interplay of light on those objects. I am especially interested in creating the movement of light across the painting. I begin the painting with multiple layers of oil on Belgium linen or gessoed panels; these layers result in a luminous effect of mystery, shadow and depth.”
Born in 1939 she is still active and works out of the Greater Atlanta area. She occasionally does animal portraits as well. If you would like to know more about her here is a link to her web site.




No comments:
Post a Comment