A look at the design, market and legacy of Victorian pottery

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Etruscan Majolica Leaves and Baskets

In 2010 I prepared a lecture on Etruscan Majolica for the 2010 meeting of the Majolica International Society, having written a book on the subject. My lecture included sections on each of the major themes the company explored in their production. For each of these sections I did a short video showing all the pieces presented in my book.

Etruscan Begonia leaf.

Eleven years and a new edition of the book later, I’m happy to say that the book is still selling well, which tells me the interest in Etruscan majolica has not waned. I thought it might be of interest to include some of the videos I prepared for the lecture here in this blog.

The first video I posted was the animal themed pieces created by the Etruscan Works. The second video I’m going to present in this series shows the leaf and basket pieces the company made. This was probably the largest group of pieces the company produced. Certainly the begonia leaf pickle dish is the most plentiful piece the company potted. 

Detailed descriptions of all the pieces in the video appear in my book on Etruscan Majolica. A link to the book on Amazon is found above as well as on the sidebar to the right should you be interested in exploring further. 

I hope you enjoy the video.


Video©D.Bastas

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous video with such moving music in the background! Well done!

    ReplyDelete